I am a Registered Psychologist with over 25 years of professional experience in the Human Resources/Learning and Development/Coaching field. A career spanning multiple industries across public and private sectors, both locally and internationally. Linking a people management focus to business objectives in order to achieve greater levels of productivity and employee satisfaction.
After working for 9 years for ANZ Bank largely facilitating leadership and management programs, I have been successfully running my own consultancy in this field since 1999. Predominately, my focus has involved raising self-awareness and skills development through facilitating group workshops, as well as individual work in personality assessment, feedback, executive coaching, and career management/outplacement. I have also been a regular panellist on a Workplace Forum Program on ABC Radio, taking talk-back calls on pertinent workplace issues.
After years of conversations of what matters to people, it became increasingly evident that ultimately people’s overall health (physical and mental), predetermines how well they operate at work and in the rest of their lives. Couple that with a global health crisis of exponentially rising levels of chronic illness, I have developed a passion for preventative lifestyle medicine that helps people lead their healthiest lives possible.
Ultimately this comes down to how well we eat, move, sleep and connect with others. After immersing myself in an up to date evidence-based lifestyle medicine coaching qualification, I delight in getting real with people about the changes they commit to making, to benefit themselves, their families and their employers.
A fervent believer in the empowering process of coaching, I provide a practical and down to earth interpersonal style, while balancing the use of empathy and humour to ensure goals are met. I have a deliberate focus on more asking than telling to thoroughly engage others.
- Bachelor of Behavioural Science, La Trobe University
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Psychology, Monash University
- Registered Psychologist with AHPRA
- Certificate IV in Workplace Training
- Prekure Certified Health Coach
- Currently studying Advanced Certificate in Nutrition (Prekure)
- Professional Member, Health Coaches Australia & New Zealand Association
- Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument® (HBDI®) Thinking Styles
- MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) Personality Preferences (Type I & II)
- Performance Coaching for Managers program (designed by Prof Anthony Grant, Coaching Psychologist, University of Sydney)
- TMS (Team Management Systems)
- Emotional Capitalist Report (ECR) Emotional Intelligence Instrument (RocheMartin)
- MSCEIT Emotional Intelligence Instrument
- Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ)
Apart from coaching individual clients directly, some of my work includes clients such as Ambulance Victoria, EPA Victoria, DJPR, Accident Compensation Conciliation Service, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, Connections Uniting Care, Darebin City Council, University of Melbourne, RMIT, Emergency Departments of Public Hospitals, National Bank, Colonial First State, Department of Human Services, Widex Pty Ltd, Royal Botanic Gardens, Qantas, Mitchell Shire Council, Victoria Police, Rhipe, Sentient Vision, and Channel 7.
Examples of projects engaged to deliver:
- I have conducted an informal small group optimal health coaching program to explore health goals primarily about healthy whole food and low carb eating, weight loss, reduction of inflammation, and reducing the need for multiple medications. This involved a couple of group information sessions initially to establish goals and the motivation to reach those goals, share relevant facts about recent nutritional science and weight loss, and then meeting interested individuals separately to coach, encourage and hold them accountable to their specific goals.
- Ambulance Victoria Leadership Programs. Over a 3 year period, I have delivered 4 day leadership programs across the state in metro and rural areas to Paramedics/Team Managers within a challenging political environment including a long unresolved EBA dispute. Key elements included: Self-awareness of Leadership/Management styles, Team Effectiveness, Coaching for Results, Leading Change, Communicating as a Leader/Influencer (HBDI), and Building Relationships for Outcomes. My role included: redesigning existing programs, facilitation, coaching, stakeholder management, and regular feedback and review of the program with the client.
- Individual Coaching, Child Protection Unit, Department of Human Services. As part of a Coaching Panel, I delivered individual coaching services to over 90 Team Leaders/Department Managers within the Child Protection Unit over a 3 year period. Individual coaching programs of 10 hours each varied depending on the leader, but largely focused on building their self-awareness of their own strengths and development opportunities, building of effective resilient teams, political savviness, and their own coaching style to foster independent self-reliant team members.
- I delivered a significant number of 360 degree debriefs with Senior Managers at Department of Justice, where regular 360 reviews were a part of their developmental culture. This also included establishing Development Plans on the basis of any identified themes from the 360 feedback, with participants at varying levels of awareness and motivation to act on that feedback. Similar feedback and coaching processes were conducted with a range of clients through my work with SHL, a firm who specialises in the use of psychological assessment tools and subsequent development activity.
- A rewarding project involved me as a facilitator delivering Effective Communication Skills to key Emergency Department Teams across 12 city and rural hospitals across Victoria. These groups included senior doctors, nurses, social workers and support staff and explored what communication processes worked well in their incredibly complex environment, often restrained with limited resources.
- More recently, I have been involved in executive leadership development coaching, career coaching and/or self-care coaching within Environmental Protection Authority (Victoria), Accident Compensation Conciliation Service, Melbourne Recital Centre, and Fair Work Commission across the full gamut of levels. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the transformation of individuals owning their own authority in their roles, and being as effective, capable, and confident as they can possibly be. With a particular interest in supporting highly technical managers to adopt more of an influential and genuine people leadership style, who then work more collaboratively and transparently with their key internal and external stakeholders, including direct team members. Self-care discussions have become more frequent as people find more workplaces increasingly are requiring them to do more with less.